20130422

Peyote

When it comes to my crafts, I can almost always draw from what I learned as a child and in my early teens. We were introduced to weaving, sewing, embroidery, crochet and knitting at school, and my mom and her two sisters would make clothes for themselves and me. Mum and I also played around with origami, pouring plaster into little moulds to later paint reliefs or "Venetian" masks. We would bend wire into petal shapes and cover them with colourful panty hose to create flowers, entire bouquets. And I remember a similar technique using some kind of coloured glue to make flowers as well. I'll nee to ask my mum about that last technique.

Beading, however, was never on my schedule. Working with the beading loom during the weekend wasn't that different from good old basic loom weaving. Learning Peyote Stitch was. It's been a long time since I felt so silly watching three different youtube videos to learn the basics. Eventually I found this helpful site and the low tech animations finally lead me to that Eureka!-moment.

So here are my first even- and odd count Peyote pieces:

No comments:

Post a Comment